Labels

Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Boehner's Suit

I survived the midnight fireworks and the crowds over the weekend. I love my sleep, but I love this nation more. I love celebrating our Declaration of Independence from the rule of a King who had no sympathy for minority views and no tolerance for folks of different mindsets. For George, it was his way or the highway, so we took the highway and look at the nation we built!

But, I just read Speaker of the House Boehner’s rationale for suing President Obama. Wow. Let me get this straight: the President proposes Congressional action, the Senate approves, and the House does not. The President then acts using Executive Authority. The House single handedly has shut down the government and threatened to do so multiple times, demanded a cut in spending in a time of recession, fought raising taxes on millionaires, blocked immigration reform, fought to undo the first national health care reform ever, and now the Speaker wants to sue the President? It appears to me that the dominant party in the House is convinced the government can’t do anything right, they got elected, and then set about proving their theory is correct. I am aghast.

I remember when George Bush went on national TV and told Saddam Hussein to get out of Iraq in 48 hours or we were coming in. That’s right. The US told a foreign leader in another country to abandon his position or face war. Again, I was aghast. At a Rotary Club meeting I expressed my concern about an American preemptive strike on a sovereign nation and I was told in no uncertain terms that my position was unpatriotic, un-American, and damn near treasonous. This same group supports suing the President of the United States now? Come on. Grow up.

 I get it that Boehner wishes he and his fellow Republicans could control the country. He must hate that the President and the Senate continue to find ways to implement action while the House continues to find ways to be obstructed. But to have the Speaker of the House announce a suit against the President of the United States because Boehner has not had the power to totally rule the United States of American, and to do so on the 4th of July weekend, is the most un-American act by an elected official since McCarthy and Nixon. If Boehner does not understand politics and the American way he should resign.

Or, If Boehner’s logic makes sense, then the US Senate should sue him and the US House for usurping the power of the Senate and the President. Boehner would have no grounds to oppose such a suit. It would be his own public rationale for suing the President that is a clear admission of culpability.

Yep, the Senate should sue Boehner. In this nation it may be time for a new suit to help inform Boehner of what the USA is really all about.

There. This little old lady is now happy having celebrated her right to express her opinion. Hope Boehner doesn’t sue me. Happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th to you, too!
    Kindergarten classes function better than our Congress.

    ReplyDelete